What is musculoskeletal rehabilitation?
A musculoskeletal rehabilitation program is a program designed for people with impairments or disabilities due to disease, disorders, or trauma to the muscles or bones. Musculoskeletal rehabilitation programs improve functional capacity, reduce symptoms, and improve the well-being of the patient.
What conditions can benefit from musculoskeletal rehabilitation?
Some of the conditions that may benefit from musculoskeletal rehabilitation may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Tendon tears, such as Achilles tendon injuries and tears of the rotator cuff in the shoulder
- Trauma injuries, such as sprains, strains, joint dislocations, and fractures
- Back pain
- Bone tumors
- Repetitive stress injuries, such as tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Joint injury and replacement
Many people experience painful Musculoskeletal episodes that interrupt work or leisure activities. In a significant proportion of the population, such problems are sufficiently severe, disabling and persistent to lead to loss of employment, long term pain and dependence. Musculoskeletal problems are the most prevalent cause of long-term disability.
The musculoskeletal rehabilitation program
A musculoskeletal rehabilitation program is designed to meet the needs of the individual patient, depending on the specific problem or disease. Active involvement of the patient and family is vital to the success of the program.
The goal of musculoskeletal rehabilitation is to help the patient return to the highest level of function and independence possible, while improving the overall quality of life — physically, emotionally, and socially.
In order to help reach these goals, musculoskeletal rehabilitation programs may include the following:
- Exercise programs to improve range of motion, increase muscle strength, improve flexibility and mobility, and increase endurance
- Gait (walking) retraining and methods of safe ambulation.
- Help with obtaining assistive devices that promote independence
- Patient and family education and counseling
- Pain management
- Ergonomic assessments and work-related injury preventionOur evidenced based, stepped care approach for musculoskeletal conditions optimizes return to work and makes a real difference to people’s lives by reducing symptoms and restoring function. For the rehabilitation of all your musculoskeletal & sport injury requirements including assessment, screening & exercise based interventions for individuals looking to improve their condition or performance, book your session with Angelz. We dedicate time and effort and caters for both, who are active or engaged in sport and for those with more sedentary lifestyles.